Follow by Email

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mema turns 76

Today we spent the day with Mema on her 76th birthday.  We are so thankful for her and love her so much!
Enjoying a birthday lunch

Goodfellows, Mema, & Lil' Keith (Ashly had to leave a little early)

This is the only way to eat a "bloomin' onion"........at least according to my brother and I!  We slide the onion out and just eat the batter.  We do the same thing with apple turnovers.......we squish all the apples out and eat the crust part.  I know, I know...you all think we are weird, but at least we are weird together! ;-)

When I was a little girl my Mema made me a "tater-head" doll.  She made one for my girls back in the fall and here they are!  They are made out of pantyhose.  She also made the little dresses for them.

Here is my tater-head doll.   I got her out of the attic so she is a little "tired."  I remember the night  we made her.  We stayed up late waiting for Pa to come home.  I couldn't wait for her to be finished.  It was so neat watching a doll form out of pantyhose!  She made her hair from yarn and put make-up on her.  The eyes were pearls.  She even made little panties for her.  She used to have a dress on, but I don't know what happened to that.  She was definitely one of my special baby dolls!  I'm so thankful she took time to do that for me and that she is able to do the same for my girls.  What a special blessing!  We are thankful for the 76 years God has given her.

She also gave us her recipe book of most of her best recipes today.  They are all in her hand-writing and we will cherish them for years to come.  Some of the recipes came from her mother and my Pa's mother.  What a treasure!


No comments:

Post a Comment