Follow by Email

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day, Dad

Dad, as I look back over my life, I realize that being a father is not as easy as it looked long ago. I guess back then I just expected you to work long hours yet come home refreshed and ready to play at the same rate that I was. You did play and spend time teaching me things - especially baseball - even when you could have been relaxing. Then, as I learned later, you pursued your dream of law enforcement at a "late" professional age. I'll never forget watching mom (a speed typist) squirm while you did the rat-a-tat-tat 10wpm on that manual typewriter. Poor mom! You excelled, and I learned during that time that you can work hard to achieve goals and ambitions. I believe that God placed you in that environment to make a difference.... Those days were great. Remember the "snow flurries turned blizzard" of 1980, big wheels, basepaths worn in the front yard, MNF or baseball with popcorn, pong, atari, little league and goose egg from the ball I lost in the lights, ALL-STARS and the great lesson learned that has stuck with me even when it was hard, my flight to Tangier, my ping-pong table, the b-ball goal on the garage, hamsters, dogs, ducks, bunnies, learning to drive a 5-speed Datsun with fuzzy seat covers (COOL), ball games and practices, laughing constantly because you had joy in your heart and something funny to say, and tons of lessons learned about life and surrender to God. One event Melissa said I couldn't leave out. The trip to Mr. Thompson's house at 10 PM to apologize for my wrong attitude at school will never be forgotten. It was effective however.
Even over the last several years as we have tried to do God's will for us, I have watched you go from a teen sponsor, to a youth pastor's friend/ helper, to a pastor's confidant, to a college dean. That's a long way from hanging steel and catching bad guys! The path you have taken has had its moments I know, but each step has been a learning process for you (and me as I watched). Thank you!      
I remember reading this in our house years ago:
"Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a daddy!"
Thanks for being my dad. I LOVE YOU! Happy Father's Day!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Personalize your own slideshow

1 comment: